Fox 7 - Palestinian children injured in Gaza brought to Greenville for care

GREENVILLE, S.C. (WSPA) – A teenager hurt in the escalating conflict in Gaza arrived on Tuesday in Greenville where he will be treated for his injuries.

Ayham, a 13 year old from Gaza, was greeted Tuesday afternoon by supporters waving flags and offering well wishes as he arrived at Greenville-Spartanburg Airport.

The teenager was joined in Greenville by his brother, Ismail.

Ayham’s journey to the Upstate was arranged by Palestine Children’s Relief Fund, a nonprofit humanitarian organization which provides medical care to thousands of injured or sick children.

The nonprofit brought Ayham, 13, to receive surgery on his leg which was injured by an an explosion when his neighbor’s house was targeted by an Israeli airstrike in December. According to PCRF, the attack killed 78 people, and debris from the explosion went into Ayham’s house, breaking his leg.

Ayham is the second young person PCRF has brought to the Upstate to receive treatment for injuries they received in Gaza.

In February, Ahed, 18, arrived in Greenville to be fitted for a prosthetic leg and hopefully to learn to walk again. According to PCRF, Ahed lost her leg to an Israeli tank shelling. Her uncle had to amputate the limb in order to save her life.

According to PCRF, Ahed’s situation is not unique. The nonprofit said more than 10 children have lost limbs daily in Gaza over the last five months.

“In the face of overwhelming adversity, the strength and resilience of these children inspire us all,” said Tareq Hailat, head of PCRF’s treatment abroad program. “Their journey to the US for treatment is not just a testament to their courage but a call to action for us to support and stand by innocent civilians in dire need. Together, we can restore hope and rebuild lives, one child at a time.”

In addition to the teens sent to Greenville, two-year-old Jood also arrived in the United States earlier this week. A survivor of an Israeli tank strike which killed his mother, Jood was sent to the Shriners Children’s Hospital in Chicago for surgery.